Urban Solid Waste Director Plan in Santa Catarina State (Brazil)
Director plan that values present situation, analyzes different alternatives and specifies various actuation strategic lines. This program, allows obtaining an improvement in waste managing and treating, all over Santa Catarina State.
- Master plan
Actuation consists in developing a Director Plan for Urban Solid Waste Management and Treatment, in Santa Catarina State. The aim is progressing towards an integral and more sustainable point of view, when managing urban solid waste. It is necessary to make possible the prevention, reduction, valuing, recuperation and recycling of obtained materials, all through waste treatment process. As a result of this policy, a reusing and saving of raw materials, will be a reality. There will be an elimination of no controlled rubbish dumps, assuring a proper waste treatment.
- Population: 6.248.436 inhabitants
- Extension: 95.436,18 km2
- Municipalities number: 293
- Population density: 65,3 inhabitants /km2
- Hierarchy in management actuations.
- Maximization of prevention.
- Maximization of valuing: recycling and energy valuation.
- Dump minimization.
- Multiplicity and flexibility of solutions.
- Administrative collaboration and shared responsibility.
- Promotion to Private Initiative in Waste Management Actuations.
- Controlling the continuous increasing in urban waste quantity, generated each year per person.
- Giving support to selective collection in origin, by separating organic fraction from dry fraction (paper, glass, metals and plastic). Such strategy will allow obtaining quality materials, able to be accepted into recycling market.
- Making possible, mainly, all the management actuations for carrying out a selective collection in origin. The objective is obtaining organic fraction from municipal waste. If all processes are followed correctly, separating organic fraction in origin, It is possible to obtain a noble product (used as a compostage in agricultural works).
- Promotion of recycling market. As mentioned before, It is important the quality of materials, as a necessary condition (but not enough) for a push policy related to recycling and recuperation. It will be fundamental, eliminating organization, technical and economic barriers, which could obstruct recycled products market. The final purpose is increasing these materials demand.
- Adapting waste management system to territorial features. Having as a model, the residual separations in 2 fractions (organic and dry), It will be necessary a complete adjusting (model implemented, collection system, …). The most relevant territorial, urban and socioeconomics population characteristics, will be the frame work for improving the system (decreasing in economic cost, environment improving and better valuing results).
- Decreasing of final dump, especially when talking of biodegradable fraction and recoverable materials. Through a general waste prevention strategy and a higher valuation material, It is proposed an important diminution of waste quantity, sent to rubbish dumps (mainly fermentative products).
- Reaching a maximum implication and relationship, between people and all waste management actuations. Contributing to a combined action of information and citizen sensitization, by mean of educational environment programs, will be an important point. Participation, information level and citizen sensitization, will be a key point for succeeding in the Director Plan Objectives.
- Designing a territorial implantation of collection and treatment facilities, will allow waste management actions, in order to value and recover different products (with acceptable scales economies).
- Optimizing investments, so that It is possible to adjust the treatment plants number, to present and future necessities.
- Elimination of no controlled rubbish dumps, closing, sealing and progressive restoration of no controlled dumping points, all through Santa Catarina State territorial area.
- Extinguishing in a safe and controlled way, all non recoverable urban waste, in order to eliminate no controlled deposits.
- Establishing financial models, based in shared cooperation and responsibility, with different people, companies and institutional organizations (involved in waste management and treatment). It will be indispensable, guarantying a stable frame, giving answer to solidarity principle. The objective would be integrating local institutions with exceptional expenses (because of their dimension or geographical situation).
- Getting a Director Plan, able to be adaptable and revisable, depending on social and circumstantial variations in its development.